Penny Sampler episode 1: January

When Rachel Hauser from Stitched in Color announced she wanted to do a new workshop with The Penny Sampler Quilt I immediately fell in love with that special quilt. I WANTED to make this quilt and loved the idea of learning new things or gettting more practice on techniques I already had used.
Rachel made her announcement at the end of October, I decided to make myself a christmas gift with the workshop and then had a really hard time waiting impatiently for the first of January when the workshop would start.
I chose the 12 month version because I want to make this quilt in peace without stressing around (I have enough of this when teaching my classes, wink) and I decided to make the Penny Sampler my BOM of 2017.

The first step was choosing the fabrics. I chose a bundle of fabrics in soft muted colors with narrow stripes and gingham to be the basics and then searched my stash for fitting fabrics and scraps. They have a nice vintage charm, exactly what I want for the Penny Sampler. I want it to be soft, warm and cuddly. A quilt to be loved and cuddled under.

I arranged my collection on the porch to get a good look at the colors in natural light.

 And I followed Rachels suggestion to make a neat stack of all fabrics to get a better overview. I still like what I see. And what makes me most happy: all fabrics are from my stash! The Penny Sampler is going to be a wonderful stash buster, yeah!




After that I grabbed my color crayons and a printout of the colorsheet of the quilt and started coloring the most important sections to get some kind of orientation for what colors to use in which block.



The main colorway will be in soft silvery grey, beige and brown. That's really something new for me - huh, out of my comfort zone. Then I'll mix in the gingham (it's in the sheet already), stripes and some soft colored prints and solids. I'm absolutely curious where my journey will take me with this quilt.
I'll color the empty sections step by step as the blocks will be stitched to keep more flexibility.

These are the first two blocks of the quilt. The big block with four hearts will be put in the top right corner and the small dark green block with the yellow heart will find its place right beneath the diamond border on the left.

And now .... thank God it's only one week to wait until the next episode can start. I wonder what will be the next part...


Kommentare