Penny Sampler Episode 4: April

Hello, hello,

I hope, you had a nice Easter. Mine has been very lazy, I have to confess, but the weather has been less than inviting. Winter has come back with a chaotic mixture of snow, rain and the occasional glimpse of a bit sunshine.

It was the perfect timing when Rachel released the blocks for April, because I only had to "survive" one week till the beginning of the Easter holidays when I could not resist any longer and started sewing. Three days later I was finished!  What was I going to do next??? Haha, since spring had been really sunny until then my head was spinning with ideas and masses of confetti. You know that? I could say my brain and wits had been overtaken by spring and confetti, haha 😁. It's good I have two weeks of Easter holiday to enjoy this happy time and indulge in inspirations for sewing, gardening and easter decoration.

But first I want to share the newest results of my Penny Sampler:


Et voilá, the little block parade of April: two appliqueed birds and three Penny Patch blocks.





The Little Bird and Dilly Bird are the last of the applique blocks. The next part of the quilt will be pieced traditionally; Rachel calls it "precise piecing" to show that there will be some tricky blocks where precise piecing and taking good care for the seam allowance will be essential.
After the hassling with the small leaves last month I really enjoyed making the two bird blocks. Again I changed the freezer paper to cardboard templates and simply soaked the seam allowance in liquid starch. It was sooo simple, I adore these blocks. I love their cuteness and simple scandinavian style (I am a big fan of scandinavian design) and I am sure I am going to make more of these adorable bird blocks to create a pillow or a mini quilt or... well, we'll see.



The next part of April's blocks were three Penny Patch blocks. They are very simple and oh so cute. Each Penny Patch measures six inches finished. I can't say what I enjoyed more, choosing fabrics or piecing. They are pieced in simply no time and could make a whole quilt of their own. Since one of my goals for quilting this year is "making a significant dent in my stash" these blocks could be a real stash buster.




I took a closeup of each Penny Patch to give a better look of the fabrics I used. Playing with that block is so much fun!


To give me more orientation, especially when I am replacing the blocks, I pinned the coloring sheet to my design wall. I am coloring it "on the run" when I have made up my mind which colors I am going to use for a block. Now there is quite a good number of blocks finished which gives me a rather good direction about which colors to place where. So I have colored a few blocks and areas of the quilt in advance.

I wanted to have a picture of all blocks I have finished until now . That is why I put them all together on the design wall.
To think that almost four months have passed and a third of the quilt is pieced by now is hard to believe for me but when I take a look at the design wall it fills me with joy and anticipation about what will come next.

So stay with me on my quilt journey and come back next time for Penny Sampler Episode 5.








Kommentare