The first finished Quilt'nTat quilt for Achern

No, I haven't passed away. I am still alive. I have been sooo busy with my exhibition projects the last days  that I spent whole days either at my sewing machine learning free motion quilting or tatting for dear life.
In spring I had been sort of attacked by the idea "Why not get my two favorite hobbies - tatting and quilting - married, look what will be the children of this marriage and make a little collection for the exhibition in Achern in September".
This was in spring. And as it always happens to me there seemed to be plenty of time. Then came the summer holiday (with plenty of time, I thought), the IFQ in Birmingham, and suddenly time was getting pretty short. Ooops! "Don't panic. I told me. "Just stay focused and you will get finished with your projects."
I had planned four smaller wall quilts, each of them embellished with tatting, and I can present you the first one that is finished by now.




I used a fat quarter I had to buy in spring when I saw it. It's a very dark navy batik with a few specks of lighter colours as light blue, pink and yellow. For the dragons I used the pattern of Anne Bruvold, a norwegian tatter, which I am very fond of (the pattern, but the tatter, too ;-)). I love all kinds of dragons, maybe because in the Chinese zodiac I am a dragon. Then last year in the Year of the Dragon I got married to another dragon. It just can't be a coincidence that I am drawn to all kinds of dragons.
Back to the quilt: I wanted the dragons to soar free on the background. Then I thought long about how to quilt the top. Thanks to the book of Angela Walters!!! It offered me lots of inspiration and I decided to put a spiral in the center and circle it with wavy lines which I in some places filled with bubbles. I love the combination of wavy lines and bubbles. It covers up all flaws and wonky things that happen to me as a total newbie in free motion quilting.
Because the center looked so boring and all dragons have a hoard they defend fiercely I added tons of hotfix crystals and voilà: Behold the Dragons Lair!


If you are curious what happened to the other three projects just wait a little time. They are all close to completion referred to the piecing or quilting part, it's the tatting that costs me a lot of time.

What makes me really happy is that this is the first project I can link to Thank Goodness It's Finished Friday.




Kommentare

  1. Yay, we're so glad you could link up to TGIFF! too! Very cool to see the tatting paired with the quilting!

    AntwortenLöschen

Kommentar veröffentlichen