The first day at IFQ in Birmingham

What a day and what an experience. This was my first day at the International Festival of Quilts in Birmingham.
We started with a rich English breakfast to keep us strong for a long day on our feet and headed to our first workshop at the NEC. It was a Mini Mosaic Quilt Workshop with Paula Doyle where Paula awaited us with a very well prepared little kit. It took only one hour but the time went by like nothing and it was sooo much fun. Paula showed us how to do tiny mosaic tiles in a very easy way. 

 The block isn't finished yet. I'll have to sew it at home but it will be only straight seams. The unfinished squares are now 1.5" x 1.5". So the finished block will measure 5" x 5". When it will be finished it will be a nice little mug rug.

After the workshop we started to explore the exhibition and were just overwhelmed. This is the biggest Quilt Festival in Europe and there are sooo many things to discover. Of course we were very eager to see our own quilts in the exhibition and it was really exciting to find them among so many other "first quilts" which showed a big, big variety of patterns and ideas. Of course we did not win but it is a very encouraging thing to see your own quilt hanging in an international exhibition and being admired by a few thousand visitors. Oh my gosh! I have been quilting for less than nine months and now I have a quilt in an international exhibitition!!


And what is wonderful, too: I'll be able to take my "Octopussy's Garden" with me on sunday to cuddle under it during our trip through Wales next week.
Can you imagine what is really weird? When you meet Marti Mitchell in person selling her wonderful templates at her stall and find yourself chatting happily with her about the Porsche Museum in Stuttgart. And after a few minutes seeing Kaffe Fassett with his partner talking so some Hungarians selling beautiful blue dyed fabrics. I could see the wheels turning in Kaffe's head, I bet he was thinking about a new design.

Of course I had to buy something today but luckily I ran out of cash in time before something really bad could happen. But there will be three more days... =D

My "treasures": a japanese folded patchwork kit, two rolls of 4" wide fabric strips, one package containing 8 fat eights from Oakshott, four little (absolutely cute) bags with scraps, one charm pack from Oakshott, two packages of needles and a small bag of itty bitty snowflakes (absolutely irresistible).













Kommentare

Kommentar veröffentlichen