at home again

Phhheeww, wow, what a vacation! Last monday I was so done after the IFQ in Birmingham that writing any blog post just seemed to be like climbing the Mount Everest. Okay, we spent all four days on the exhibition and an excellent mixture of workshops and masterclasses with excellent tutors. There was so much to learn and now my brain is spinning around more ideas than before!



A little impression of the exhibition. There were more than 700 quilts in the show...
  

 ... and one of them was mine. Wow, it was a great feeling to see it hanging there and a lot of fun.


This is one of my favorites of the show. It's competely pieced by hand. Every star is fussy cut.

  Birmingham was an incredible experience and I have to admit that it is highly addictive. I believe that it should be a must for every European quilter who can afford the costs to visit at least once this gorgeous show. I spent most of last week in Wales just sorting all impressions I got in Birmingham, sightseeing, visiting the Welsh Quilt Center in Lampeter, where Kaffe Fasset has an exhibition of some of his wonderful quilts, English paper piecing and sharing my ideas and impressions with Julia.



 The Kaffe Fasset exhibition in Lampeter

By the way: the Jen Jones Welsh Quilt Center in Lampeter is a very nice small museum where a lot of antique Welsh quilts are on display. They are marvellous! Most are wholecloth quilts made of cotton satin and quilted in a very elaborate style. Julia and I were so amazed that we thought it might be nice to make a Welsh quilt some day especially because this tradition seems to be so neglected nowadays.



Detail of a Welsh wholecloth quilt


Then come the "dangerous" sidekicks to the Welsh Quilt Center: a tea room next door run by Jen Jones' daughter, "Kate's Calico Shop", the local quilt shop with eight rooms (!) filled just with every quilter's dreams and ... between the tea room and the quilt shop .... a Cash machine! You can imagine what can happen to any passionate quilter who just happens to stumble over such a combination? We decided to visit the quilt shop before we entered the museum and got new inspirations for even more quilts. Anyway: when I left the shop I had a bag with some fat quarters and a layercake in my hand. Must have got glued somehow to my fingers :-D.









Kommentare