my current project

Because it's wednesday I want to share my current project with you. It started last weekend when I was on a quilting retreat together with my wife Julia. We took part in a workshop about triangular log cabin blocks with a 3D effect. It took me a bit to find out how to do the reverse blocks and then it was like a trance. Putting together the pieces of fabric, sewing, pinning the blocks to a design wall and watching the whole coming together.
Because I like modern quilts with bold graphic designs or solids very much I had decided to do the quilt in black, white and red fabrics. I love this colour combination. I had bought a fascinating half jellyroll via ebay in the US and it seemed as if it had waited just for this moment.

This is my current project "Babel 2.0". As you can see, the blocks are just pinned to a design wall and not yet sewn together. I'll lay them out on the floor at home again and maybe rearrange them a little until I like what I see. I turned the foto around 180° to see what the quilt might look like and I have to say that I like this way better.
Why the name "Babel 2.0"? When I put together the blocks I got caught in the play with the 3D effect. I wanted to find out what the quilt would look like if I left a pillar there or a piece here. Then it came to my mind to do sort of a broken or damaged tower. The colours have something bold and almost aggressive because of the red background, so I got reminded of the old story of the Tower of Babel in the Bible, a story about pride and hubris and an unfinished project of mankind. I thought about the pride and hubris of mankind nowadays and that just nothing has changed and that we still are building Towers of Babel which allways will be doomed to stay unfinished. As will the tower in this quilt. I'll finish the quilt, but not the tower.

Linking this up with WIP Wednesday at Freshly Pieced

Kommentare